The social contract we must all subscribe to assures us that if we surrender a portion of our liberty we will be ensured the rest. That in order for us to coexist, under any government, we must relent a piece of freedom so that others can enjoy theirs as well. My whole life I have struggled with this concept. Not for lack of understanding either. My beef is this: Liberty can not be divided. Like a living thing, if you sever a piece of it the whole organism suffers. Often dies... That little piece you have taken is all I want now. I will always resist and curtail anything that stands in the way of what is mine. For it is the Human spirit not just liberty that has been Novocained.
My right to embrace the disadvantageous is what makes me feel alive. Why should I be or feel obligated to do that which is good or advantageous to myself and mankind? Sometimes, certainly, but on my own terms I need it. True that it will never be so. Many men, such as myself, learn the consequences of vulgarly attempting to exercise this belief with a stint of confinement. Man's solution to the restless spirit, the dissatisfied human heart.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, the talk of anarchy. I read this and I now understand your interest (dare I say love?) for Ayn Rand and philosophy.
ReplyDeleteThe idea of government is one of those things I rarely focus on because if I think too long, I get pissed and quite frankly there's nothing I can do about it. (Hmm...strangely similar to my dwelling on existentialism. I should take a hint from myself) I do, however, agree with your notion of the human spirit and jurisprudence. Our collectivist society (a bit harsh? bolshevism? Marxism? haha. i'll stop now) always slows the "spirit" (whatever the true meaning of this word actually is). Without this barrier, we might be spiritually capable of much more...but I'm not sure what "more" there is to discover.